- South Swindon MP to help CALM bag pack at Waitrose on 22 December
- Calling all artists in Swindon to a transformation
- Sadness at passing of loved North Swindon mum Anne-Marie Burgess
- Dietitians lead Foodbank collection at Great Western Hospital Swindon
- 47 Christmas church services in Swindon
- Get your skates on and hit the ice at the Link Centre
- DIARY OF A POP STAR - PART 2: Driving home for Christmas
Love at first sight brings MP Justin together with Jo
North Swindon MP Justin Tomlinson has announced his engagement to Jo Wheeler on Facebook on their return from holiday in Hong Kong.
Justin said they had decided to get married at the start of the holiday earlier in August, but had waited to tell family in England before going public. "I put the question on The Peak which is the highest point in Hong Kong. I was pretty nervous as you'd expect, and I don't like heights. So I was quite dizzy when Jo said yes; it's a good thing she was holding on to me otherwise I might have fallen off the mountain."
Facebook friends have poured congratulations on the couple, with Swindon councillor David Renard from Haydon Wick saying the likelihood of an engagement seemed to be an open secret.
Justin said meeting Jo in March was a life changing moment. "I was speaking at a public meeting organised by Wanborough Parish Council and Covingham Parish Council to discuss the proposed Eastern Development of Swindon.
"Jo is the clerk to Covingham Parish Council and I knew there was something special between us as soon as we were introduced before the meeting. I made contact a couple of days later and we've been inseparable ever since. You could say it was love at first sight."
Jo manages her own a pet care business We Love Pets and was commuting from Reading to carry out her parish council duties but moved in with Justin in Taw Hill earlier in the summer.
They hope to get married in the House of Commons next summer.